We’ll move forward together.
The news circulating around the world right now about the Coronavirus (COVID-19) can cause our anxiety to soar and our worry to grow. There are a lot of practical and important steps to take, but we want to also talk about what you can do to encourage mental health safety and calm. As more preventive measures roll out, including limiting social interaction, we understand that you might feel lonely. We’re here to remind you that you’re not alone. We’re in this together.
Caring for yourself + others.
It’s important to practice self-care and things that support emotional and mental health during stressful times. Here are some suggestions:
- Practice mindfulness using meditation apps like Calm and Headspace. Many offer free trials or discounts to start.
- Explore virtual or remote counseling options such as Talkspace.
- Reach out to those you love by calling or texting. Ask for and offer reassurance as best you can.
- Follow guidelines suggested by trustworthy sources. World Health Organization and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are both trusted and reliable.
- Schedule regular breaks from the news and social media by stepping outside and engaging in self-care activities: watch a favorite movie, read a book, listen to podcasts, etc.
- Look to the future with hope by holding on to the things that bring you joy.
Resources for support.
No matter what you’re feeling right now, it’s okay to ask for help. Here are some options for connecting to support:
Crisis Text Line: In the US, you can text TWLOHA to 741741 to be connected to a trained crisis counselor for free, 24/7. (UK: text SHOUT to 85258. Canada: text TWLOHA to 686868.)
FIND HELP Tool: Locate free and reduced-cost resource options by entering your zip code and the type of care you’re seeking. For those located outside of the US, we invite you to use our International Resources page.
Email TWLOHA: You can reach out to our team by emailing us at [email protected]. Although we are not mental health professionals, we’re always honored to hear your story, offer you support and encouragement, and connect you to valuable resources.
Lastly, as some of you may know, our team includes the TWLOHA staff and a group of dedicated interns located in Central Florida. We are taking precautions to ensure the health and well-being of our team and will be making decisions in terms of transitioning to remote work where possible and what upcoming events we attend. Regardless of events being rescheduled or canceled, we will continue to show up for you online—now and into the future.
Thanks for this reminder. Greatly appreciate and much needed.